Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Corner bench project with the kids to boost curb appeal on our corner

Final product gives the neighborhood a resting place
Our home is on a corner, and the previous owners planted a hedgerow between the street and the house. In our six years here, I have struggled to keep the edge of the property looking decent. Weeds grow fast and thick, and at least four types of invasive vines choke out our shrubs and trees. In my attempts to hack away at the mess, I've had bad poison ivy, been poked in the eye by a stray branch, been stung by a wasp... but worst of all, after each attempt everything springs back. It's embarrassing to have the sloppiest area of the street, but I am not intersted in constantly toiling away out there.
Overgrown, messy corner not long after I tried pruning & weed whacking
My husband made a suggestion one day, perhaps not a serious one, but it stuck in my head. He asked if we should put a bench out there. I wasn't looking to spend money on a bench outside our house and yard, when we have so many projects I'd rather invest my money and time in. But I liked the idea of a perch for the 'hood, for the parents with small kids on bikes and the dog walkers. I would love our neighborhood to be more friendly. And... what if more pedestrians meant slower traffic? I toyed with the idea of creating a cement bench, a la Gaudi or something you'd see in Seville. I'd cover it in mosaics and add a drain hole so puddles wouldn't collect on the seat.

Time passed, and one day on the way to work I was at Habitat ReStore with a donation. In the drop-off area I noticed two metal benches. Out of curiousity, I asked how much they cost. The guy working there told me he's planning to paint them and sell the pair for $75. I asked how much if they weren't painted, and he knocked a bit off the price. Still too much for my nonexistant budget.

I happened to be back at the store later the same week. Another customer encouraged me to haggle over a lamp, and I told him I was embarrassed to do so -- Habitat could use all the money they get! But he laughed at me and started haggling for me. I walked out of there with benches and a lamp for about $40. That day I brought the kids to my favorite hardware store (Ayers Hardware in Arlington, VA) and they picked out some spray paint.
Kids going to town with their cans of spray paint
We got home and got to work. They had never used spray paint and it's hard to instruct 2 kids at once, so a fair amount ended up on their clothes and skin. And mine. But they did a great job and were so proud of the results. We ended up using a roller and an old can of paint to finish the job, as the spray paint ran out partway through. (This is my third attempt to use the stuff and I think I'm officially not a spray paint fan).
Benches are situated in cleared area
I had weed-whacked the area and replanted two azeleas so there was a clearing for the benches. The kids helped decide where they should be located.
Some seasonal flair, to please my kids
Later we added some decorations (my kids always beg me to make our place more festive). My favorite are the solar lights. Because they went up long before Christmas, I'm not going to take them down after Christmas.
White solar lights last until at least bedtime if the day was sunny
To keep the weeds at bay, I stopped by a local stone shop (Sisler's Stone in Falls Church, VA) and grabbed a bunch of flat stones. I thought I had enough to make a little wall or two, too. It didn't stretch as far as I thought! Also, the stones are thicker than stepping stones should be, so they wobble. At some point I'll replace them with larger, flatter slabs.

This was an unexpected project but it makes me happy every time I round the corner. It's great to see how proud the kids are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment