Friday, November 27, 2015

Rehab overgrown area by curb and build stacked stone wall

New rock wall and tree neaten up our entrance
Two old, large maples have graced the sides of our front walkway until recently. Unfortunately, over the past few years we noticed that one of them was being eaten by insects. Apparently the department of transportation is responsible for the trees along our street, so I contacted them to check out its health. One day I noticed that the tree had been marked with spray paint -- apparently VDOT came and decided that the tree could not be saved.
Poor tree was marked for its demise
Several months passed and one day there was a crew in my yard, ready to go. They were worried about nearby wires, and I gave them the green light to do whatever they could to avoid them, even if that meant our old fence might get hit.
Tree being taken down carefully, to avoid wires
I knew it would not be a pretty sight when the tree was gone, but what greeted us was downright ugly. The falling limbs did take out part of the fence, which was already dilapidated -- but it never concerned me because it had always been hidden. Several Rose of Sharon trees along the fence had been heavily pruned. The old tree's wide stump remained. An overgrown old planter was full of weeds and was falling apart.
Yuck
This area of our home was not on my radar as needy. Now every time I came home I saw an eyesore. I had to do something. But what? I was not going to hire pros, so what could I do to make this look better?
So welcoming...
The first thing I wanted was a new tree to bring life back to this area, and maybe a little privacy. Our backyard had never been so visible in our years in this home. The weekend after the old tree was chopped, my brother in law left his convertible at our house in exchange for my car. I had a brainstorm: without a top, this could be useful to transport a tree! I packed my kids in and we headed to our local garden center.
The staff was skeptical and kept asking how far I was going to drive the tree
We picked out a nice, tall arborvitae and carefully drove it home. I dug a hole while the kids sort of helped, and we plunked it in. Already the spot looked a little better.
Tree helps a bit
The rubble in this area was difficult to remove. The weeds I could pull out, and I clipped back some Rose of Sharon sprouts. But there were lots of bricks and rocks and some cinder block shards too... lovely. The long wooden posts bordering this garden bed were nailed together and proved impossible for me to remove: I tugged, jumped and pried to no avail. They would have to wait until my husband could help.
Had to call in the big guns
It ultimately took two of us plus a saw, an ax, a sledge, and a shovel to dislodge those messy wood borders. A lot of daylight was burned and I worried that it could be weeks or months before I had another surge of energy and the time to act on it. I pressed on, with the help of my daughter, who loaded up some of the stones I'd bought a month or so ago for the park benches on our corner.
Busting her hump to earn her keep
I liked the idea of a stone area by the benches, but the rocks I'd laid were not flat enough. They wobbled when we walked on them, and I was afraid this area would not be good for someone without firm footing. Rather than wait for the stones to eventually sink in, I would re-purpose them as a retaining wall.
Starting to lay the stones
I scooped away some dirt so the garden bed was an arc. Thankfully the soil did not cascade down and make a mess (I anticipated holding back a landslide and had a plank of wood and a stake ready). Laying the stones went much faster than I thought it would. Each rock was like a puzzle piece, and I only had to flip or spin it to see how it might fit. The shapes naturally worked together.
So much better!
I'm sore and our wheelbarrow broke while I was loading up stones, but it's done! It's not perfect, but what was an eyesore for months now looks a million times better. I'm elated! Progress! Now to surprise my kids with some Christmas ornaments for that tree.

1 comment: